Cunning Nowhere

In the south of China, I have learned to speak the Hokkien dialect. As I am a red(well, pale yellow)-haired barbarian, I cannot adequately reproduce the sounds of a famous profanity. But I have taken it as my own. You need to use your imagination, my dear Hokkien friends. Guds hjælp, Folkets kærlighed, Danmarks styrke, Kynings havn.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

yam seng

I have learned more Hokkien language. Tonight we ate something crispy and stodgy combined, called 'yam basket'. I said, "Is this the same yam as yam seng?" and they had to teach me more Hokkien language so that I would know the difference and not embarrass myself again at a Hokkien dinner.

I must say to brother Bjorn and all at home, our shrimp are nothing compared to their prawns. We had huge prawns. In some kind of spicy sauce. I could not believe it. The fish here is good too. Not like our salmon or cod (but that is not so good these days), but tasty fish like garoupa and red herring. Or red snapper. Well red anyway.

I am learning a lot of good things about this Hokkien culture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home