Cunning Nowhere

In the south of China, I have learned to speak the Hokkien dialect. As I am a red(well, pale yellow)-haired barbarian, I cannot adequately reproduce the sounds of a famous profanity. But I have taken it as my own. You need to use your imagination, my dear Hokkien friends. Guds hjælp, Folkets kærlighed, Danmarks styrke, Kynings havn.

Friday, January 06, 2006

danish pastiche

Today I had been having a good laugh with my science-Hokkien friend. I will call him Kapten Hokk. He likes that, I think.

It is apparently that one of his students at the school where he works came up to him and said, "Bjaerni Nielsen is you!" I am eating in the koppë thiåm with him and I snort koppë-ø-kau (the black strong and very sweet version) up one nostril by accident. He gives me a dirty look. I say, well, I am not like you at all, so why do you think your student thinks so?

He says, "Because you keep quoting me. And worse, I have talks with you about language blah blah blah..." He goes on to say that I should blog less about what he says as it might get him into trouble. I keep forgetting this is an Ost-Asian police state. Everyone is suspicious, including the students.

So I ask him, why do your students inform on you? He is very excited at this and says, "No, no, they are good boys. It is the adults you must watch out for." Well, I am happy, Kapten Hokk, for you know the truth. And truth will set free, yes?

Oh yes, for my Fascist friend who is interested in languages, look at some eBooks in my mother's tongue.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:30 PM PST, Blogger The Hierophant said…

    Vielen dank, Herr B.N., it is most interesting. koppë-ø-kau? I always thought it was closer to gau than kau

     

Post a Comment

<< Home