Cunning Nowhere

In the south of China, I have learned to speak the Hokkien dialect. As I am a red(well, pale yellow)-haired barbarian, I cannot adequately reproduce the sounds of a famous profanity. But I have taken it as my own. You need to use your imagination, my dear Hokkien friends. Guds hjælp, Folkets kærlighed, Danmarks styrke, Kynings havn.

Sunday, January 15, 2006

westland

They call it Westland on some of those hidden maps. It is a small peninsula dangling in the cleft between Pacific and Indian Oceans. I have had adventures there with my students of past times. I think it is very wet, and climbing short but steep mountains in monsoon weather has effect of making me feel more aquatic than Kapten Hokk.

The Hokk was clever, he didn't go this year. But Major Anonym was there, and not so very happy about it. I compared my experience there with his. I had much better time there, when I went it was actually dry and warm compared to his adventure. I am lucky. I invite them all to Danmark, where life is afjordable. Hah! I also can pun, Kapten Hokk!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home