Cunning Nowhere

In the south of China, I have learned to speak the Hokkien dialect. As I am a red(well, pale yellow)-haired barbarian, I cannot adequately reproduce the sounds of a famous profanity. But I have taken it as my own. You need to use your imagination, my dear Hokkien friends. Guds hjælp, Folkets kærlighed, Danmarks styrke, Kynings havn.

Monday, January 23, 2006

effluent

Ah, I am in an effluent society, I discovered. One of my students said so. Then I realised that here the vowels are shorter, like sunlight in winter. But yet, is true! So much effluvium.

I hear that Kapten Hokk is discouraged. Courage, my kaptajn! There are always people who are less competent than you want them to be. Do not ask for too much in life. You have a Hokkien boss! That is almost always a good thing! At the same time, it is funny to hear what your boss says in public. Sometimes I see the Southern Channel Daily, and I cringe. What a life you must have. Does he ever consult anyone except the five ladies of his demesne? Well, you can always talk to Anonym and friends.

Remember, my friend, "In actis est volucris, nec aspera terrent!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home