Cunning Nowhere

In the south of China, I have learned to speak the Hokkien dialect. As I am a red(well, pale yellow)-haired barbarian, I cannot adequately reproduce the sounds of a famous profanity. But I have taken it as my own. You need to use your imagination, my dear Hokkien friends. Guds hjælp, Folkets kærlighed, Danmarks styrke, Kynings havn.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

alchemy

Today is very funny. After his school is over, the Alchemist has traditional Hokkien meal with me, including strong black coffee, no sugar, no anything (in fact I think when they see him, they put extra rubber tyres). He is not happy. He says, "Eh, Bjaerni, you've been mentioning me in your blog as if I'm a real person. I've already been busted once." (At least, I think he said he is busted once; I do not think he said he is a bastard once.)

The funny thing is that in this place, it is not freedom of speech is guaranteed. Of course, civilized society is able to protect with libel law and defamation and so on, but in this Ost-Asian kingship, is intimidation used against public. So I am careful not to name the Alchemist. He has trouble enough. Nevermind, he brings a lawyer with him. Lawyer is a lady lawyer. O-ho, says I.

Slim girl, a bit on dark side. Like Darth Vader with special health spa treatment. She says, "I asked Alchemist to allow himself to be sacked. We could have claimed damages for the public statements made about him, and also the wrongful dismissal, and also..." (I must confess that I did not hear it all, because I am not a legal mind.)

"...but he is a loyalist, silly friend of mine he is..." (I am sure she did not exactly say this way, but it was something like that, maybe she said 'royalist'.)

"...and so, he chose to stay and keep quiet and be a good boy."

I laughed. Can you imagine, my friends in CA and also in DK, if such a thing could happen anywhere else but in Ost-Asia? I said to them both, you are very Chinese. And Alchemist laughs like a maniac and says it is first time anyone said that to him.

Lady lawyer, she says, "I am only half Chinese." She says that very seriously. I am beginning to think I am imagining both of them. Maybe I am actually all along sleeping in Aarhus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home