Cunning Nowhere

In the south of China, I have learned to speak the Hokkien dialect. As I am a red(well, pale yellow)-haired barbarian, I cannot adequately reproduce the sounds of a famous profanity. But I have taken it as my own. You need to use your imagination, my dear Hokkien friends. Guds hjælp, Folkets kærlighed, Danmarks styrke, Kynings havn.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

barbarians

I am not blogging for a very long time. Life is in Ost-Asia a bit meaningless because we have seen so much failure that is not really failure. I am speaking about my students, who are bright and curious and wanting to know more, but they are told to keep quiet and be good Moslems. I do not mind that they are Moslems, but I mind that they are threatened if they want to know about anything that is not Moslem. I am minding an old saying of the Great Caliph, "If we threaten the barbarian who cannot read the Book, we are worse than the barbarian."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home