Cunning Nowhere

In the south of China, I have learned to speak the Hokkien dialect. As I am a red(well, pale yellow)-haired barbarian, I cannot adequately reproduce the sounds of a famous profanity. But I have taken it as my own. You need to use your imagination, my dear Hokkien friends. Guds hjælp, Folkets kærlighed, Danmarks styrke, Kynings havn.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

catalog

I am in school again after a weekend with Georgios in Kuching. It is a funny place, old and new and somewhat skewed. My friend Georgios (not his real name) he says he was a real gangster in the days before he became a teacher. Georgios is surprised to know I am a friend of Kapten Hokk. He knows Kapten Hokk for ten years. I am also surprised.

One thing great I have discovered is pepper of Sarawak. Funny thing is, I tell Kapten Hokk and he is suddenly very amused. He says, young Shivannah would be most interested, ha ha. I ask him, who is young Shivannah? He laughs and says, the Alchemist's apprentice. I do not know what is so funny, but I will ask the Alchemist when I next meet him.

Back to Kuching. I am thinking actually of cats, because they say Kuching is a city of cats. I feel a little odd. It is like Kjøbmandehavn in spirit, but it is not quite a city, and there are not so many cats as there should be. In fact, I end up more thinking of François Rabelais. Why? Because of the funny things I see there. To you my reader, if you have not read Rabelais, you must - he is an expert at making funny catalogs while mourning and mocking human condition of souls. And that is what Kuching is about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home