Cunning Nowhere

In the south of China, I have learned to speak the Hokkien dialect. As I am a red(well, pale yellow)-haired barbarian, I cannot adequately reproduce the sounds of a famous profanity. But I have taken it as my own. You need to use your imagination, my dear Hokkien friends. Guds hjælp, Folkets kærlighed, Danmarks styrke, Kynings havn.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

doppelgang

Yes, it is German I am speaking today.

Funny, but a young lady is coming up to see me and she says, "Encik Nielsen, you have another blog which is not like you at all!"

I am surprised anyone is seeing my other blog, which is in the Danish language (and some people, they think it is Swedish - some people...) and is not easily to be found. So I ask her, "Maria, where is this blog?"

She says, "Cikgu, it is xxxxxxxx.blogspot.com, yah? It is very not like you but it is you, my friend Karinn said."

I have been learning other languages too. So I say, "Alamak, that one, he is really not me!"

But it troubles me. The Alchemist is not like me at all, but he said people thought I was him, and now I am hearing I am like him too. So I walk away after some not so big talk and I wonder. I think it is because we are both marginal Hokkien speakers and not quite working in our home culture, but good at pretending it is not so bad.

For a short while, I am being resentful about having to be compared with him. But then I realise he was OK when he is compared to me, so I should be OK too. So I am OK. But I am not Kapten Hokk, or Major Anonym, or Der Alchemist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home