Cunning Nowhere

In the south of China, I have learned to speak the Hokkien dialect. As I am a red(well, pale yellow)-haired barbarian, I cannot adequately reproduce the sounds of a famous profanity. But I have taken it as my own. You need to use your imagination, my dear Hokkien friends. Guds hjælp, Folkets kærlighed, Danmarks styrke, Kynings havn.

Sunday, August 27, 2006

evaluation

I do not know why always I am so tired. I have many reasons to be tired. It is hot, humid, hazy - these are the geophysical reasons. It is sometimes silly and self-defeating to be teaching in such a sterile way - these are the metaphysical reasons. I am thinking of evaluation and assessment. So I call up Kapten Hokk.

Surprise! He is talking to me about evaluation. He is really angry about how evaluation at his school does not evaluate what it claims to evaluate. Especially, he hates having his file checked because it has nothing to do with how well his students do. File checked? I ask him what is that. He says that he has to submit his file to higher authorities for checking every fortnight. I am stunned. I think this, it is a Fascist thing to do. It is like Danmark during the War. Vidkun's children are here too.

But maybe is for good reason. So I ask him, "Is it that you are having your annual evaluation?"

He replies, "WHAAAAAT annual evaluation? You go into office, are you happy, how many periods do you have in one week, what do you want to do next year, ten minutes, out. Rest of the time is people making opinion of you based on whether you get angry with stupid people or not."

I am not sure he is joking or not. So I ask, "That is your annual interview but not evaluation, yes?"

He says, now he is turning a bit purple-brown, like that funny fruit with the sour pulp, "Is same thing! In fact you can whole year do good things and if you offend one person, it is zzzzhtttttt!"

Oh, maybe it is like Soviet Russia. Or Suomi during the War. Ho ho. I decide to talk to him more privately. Dear friends, I shall let you imagine the rest. If there is anything I can tell you, I promise I will not take too long to be blogging again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home