Cunning Nowhere

In the south of China, I have learned to speak the Hokkien dialect. As I am a red(well, pale yellow)-haired barbarian, I cannot adequately reproduce the sounds of a famous profanity. But I have taken it as my own. You need to use your imagination, my dear Hokkien friends. Guds hjælp, Folkets kærlighed, Danmarks styrke, Kynings havn.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

hero

I am watching DVD lent to me by Kapten Hokk. Is called 'Hero', is about something really Chinese and strange. Hokk says it is a very Hokkien movie. But I am thinking, it is something which really means 'Chinese' and not something else like Brazilian or Sinhalese or whatever. Is all about assassins and emperors, and yet is not like fantasie novel.

After I watch third time, something happens. I look in mirror, still red, still funny kind of sun-exposed beige colour. But feel Chinese. Which is very disturbing. So I call Major Anonym on phone, and he laughs. He says something funny and hangs up. Maybe I am now Chinese. Then I find out about a real Ost-Asian hero, name is Sinnathambye Rajaratnam.

He is founder of small but powerful Ost-Asian country. But he is not born there, not inheritance of that place. He in fact is at one time trying to prevent it from becoming independent. He fails. Then he makes the new country a great one. Yet, he is not Chinese. So he gets someone with a brain and a mouth to be the Prime Minister. And he eats hot curry and drinks whiskey and becomes a diplomat. That is so powerful. It is so Chinese.

Yet, he is Indian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home