Cunning Nowhere

In the south of China, I have learned to speak the Hokkien dialect. As I am a red(well, pale yellow)-haired barbarian, I cannot adequately reproduce the sounds of a famous profanity. But I have taken it as my own. You need to use your imagination, my dear Hokkien friends. Guds hjælp, Folkets kærlighed, Danmarks styrke, Kynings havn.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

moonie-ness

I have not update blog for more than one month so far. It is distressing but is unavoidable. You see, I am arranging for friends to come to visit my home town, and it is not so easy. We are leaving Ost-Asia 22 November and back in Ost-Asia by 27 December so that friends can attend traditional end-of-year staff meetings such as Ost-Asians are always having.

You know, I am always not updating for one month. I am very sorry to all of you for this. But really, this is what life here is like, it is always going in cycles of one month. Let me tell you just in what way I am thinking about this.

Month 01: School start, and after starting, it is orienting and then the students pretend to study and are very keen until Lunar New Year, and everyone forgets to study for one week and maybe sometimes after.

Month 02: Is Lunar New Year month. Does not really exist. And if it exists, the girls and boys take a break mid-month to enjoy St Valentine's Day.

Month 03: Is often term test, but also a break in the middle, mid-semester break. So not much done, and then back to school for next month to study for mid-year exams.

Month 04: Most work is done this month. Quite good for teaching.

Month 05: Exam month. Some crazy mad work, and then exam, then crazy mad marking, then results.

Month 06: Is holiday month, unless remedial lessons. This is bad for everybody.

Month 07: Another good month for teaching.

Month 08: Everyone in Ost-Asia seems having National Day or something. Also some mad schools have exams already here.

Month 09: Either everybody is studying for finals, or are having exams. Is a good month for teachers if careful.

Month 10: Exams, administrating, all kinds of paper flying around. Not so good.

Month 11: Really, there is no work in this month, so they invent work for you to do.

Month 12: Ah this is the good break, and I and my friends we are taking it. You should too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home