Cunning Nowhere

In the south of China, I have learned to speak the Hokkien dialect. As I am a red(well, pale yellow)-haired barbarian, I cannot adequately reproduce the sounds of a famous profanity. But I have taken it as my own. You need to use your imagination, my dear Hokkien friends. Guds hjælp, Folkets kærlighed, Danmarks styrke, Kynings havn.

Friday, March 17, 2006

reykjavik

I am back from spring in sunny Reykjavik. Ah, you ask, how can Reykjavik be sunny? Well, I explain the question and the answer both. Firstly, Reykjavik is capital of what people call Iceland. So of course, people expect cold and dark and icy. Especially at this time of year. But you know, is brighter than Danmark! Why?

Reykjavik is island. In middle of the sea. With hot volcano light and hot spring warmness all over. So I am soaking in spring in sunny Reykjavik, not much sun but warm and not as dark as Danmark, where sun not high enough will never enter land between fjords. OK, for my Ost-Asian friends, imagine you put fingers on table and spread them, palm on right, fingers on left. Then you can see some angles sun cannot shine between fingers? Yes, that is Danmark. But Reykjavik is on Iceland, Iceland is like pimple on table, every direction can see what little sun is shining.

Suddenly, I am thinking of my friends's school in Ost-Asia. Is a pimple on face of island, but is because is a pimple that sun can shine on it. So they complain a lot, because like pimple, a lot of dead skin cells and rotting oil and pus. But sometimes it bursts and the sunlight enters into it. Maybe is wrong analogy. But I still prefer Iceland than Danmark for spring. Hot spring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home